Gdansk, Poland, August 9, 2019 - Reigning back-to-back world champions Poland defeated Tunisia in their opening match of Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool D 3-0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-19) in Gdansk.
France - Slovenia (August 9, 2019)
· France and Slovenia meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· These teams never met in a major world level competition (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· France won both of their matches against Slovenia at the European championship. They won 3-0 in the 2007 group stage and 3-0 in the 2015 final.
· France could qualify for their fifth Olympic Games, after 1988, 1992, 2004 and 2016.
· France their best result in the Olympic Games was an eighth place in 1988. They finished joint-ninth at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
· France participated in four of the previous six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016), earning an Olympic ticket in 2004 and 2016.
· Three of France's four defeats in their last four world Olympic qualification campaigns came against fellow CEV sides: against Netherlands (2000), Bulgaria (2012) and Poland (2016).
· France lost their last match at the 2016 World Olympic Qualification tournament, 3-0 versus Japan.
· Slovenia have yet to appear in the men's tournament at the Olympic Games.
· Slovenia appear for the first time in the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016).
· Slovenia won 10 of their last 11 major world level matches against nations representing the CEV, with a 3-1 defeat against Italy at the 2018 World Championship as the only exception.
Poland - Tunisia (August 9, 2019)
· Poland and Tunisia meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Poland won all six of their meetings with Tunisia at major world level (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Two of those six world level encounters came at the Olympic Games. Poland won 3-0 in the 1972 group stage and 3-1 in the 2004 group stage.
· Tunisia won only one set against Poland in their six world level meetings, in the 3-1 defeat at the 2004 Olympic Games.
· These nations last met at world level at the 2015 World Cup where Poland won in straight sets.
· Poland could become the fourth NOC to qualify 10 times for the Olympic Games, after Brazil (14), Italy (11) and United States (11).
· Poland participated in each of the last four Olympic Games, finishing in fifth place in all of those editions.
· Poland's only podium in the Olympic Games came in 1976, when they won the gold medal. Brazil, Soviet Union and United States (all 3) are the only NOCs to have won multiple gold medals in the men's competition.
· Poland participated in four of the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns, earning an Olympic ticket in each of those four participations (1996, 2004, 2008, 2016).
· They entered the London 2012 Olympic Games after finishing as runners-up at the 2011 World Cup.
· Poland lost only one of their 16 matches in their last four participations in a world Olympic qualification tournament, a 3-1 defeat against Iran in 2016.
· Tunisia has appeared in six Olympic Games, most for an African NOC (Egypt next, 4).
· Tunisia finished in (joint) last place in five of their six participations in the Olympic Games. The only exception was a ninth place (out of 10) in 1984.
· Tunisia participated in the Olympic Games every other edition since 1988 - 1988 (yes), 1992 (no), 1996 (yes), 2000 (no), 2004 (yes), 2008 (no), 2012 (yes), 2016 (no).
· In their last three participations in the Olympic Games, Tunisia achieved qualification by winning the African Olympic qualification tournament.
· Tunisia played in two of the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (2000 and 2016). They lost all three matches in 2000, but won two of their three in 2016.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball