Rotterdam, Netherlands, August 9, 2019 - The Netherlands defeated Korea in five sets 3-2 (23-25, 25-27, 26-24, 25-20, 15-12) in their first match in Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool B in Rotterdam on Friday.
Belgium - United States (August 9, 2019)
· Belgium and United States meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· United States won four of their seven meetings with Belgium in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· United States their last two world level victories over Belgium came in five sets, at the 2014 World Championship and in the 2016 World League.
· Belgium defeated United States 3-1 in the 2017 World League, their most recent world level encounter.
· These nations met once at the Olympic Games. United States won in straight sets in 1968.
· Belgium appeared in the Olympic Games only once. In 1968, they finished in eighth place in Mexico City.
· Belgium were invited alongside Bulgaria to play at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games, after Romania and Tunisia withdrew from the tournament.
· Belgium won two of their nine matches at Mexico City 1968: 3-1 against Brazil and 3-2 versus Mexico.
· Belgium did not play in any of the previous six world Olympic qualification tournaments (1996-2016).
· United States have participated 11 times in the Olympic Games, including in each of the last nine editions (1984-2016).
· United States is one of three NOCs to have appeared in the men's tournament in each of the last nine editions (1984-2016), alongside Italy and Brazil.
· Only Brazil (14) have appeared in more Olympic Games than United States (11). Italy have also participated 11 times.
· Unites States won the Olympic gold medal a joint-record three times, alongside Brazil and Soviet Union. USA won in 1984, 1988 and 2008.
· United States also finished on the podium in 1992 (bronze) and 2016 (bronze).
· Only Brazil (6), Soviet Union (6) and Italy (6) have won more Olympic medals than United States (5).
· Since hosting the Olympic Games in 1996, United States qualified for the competition via North American qualification (2000-2012) and by winning the 2015 World Cup (2016).
Netherlands - Korea (August 9, 2019)
· Netherlands and Korea meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Netherlands lost only three of their 30 major world level meetings with Korea (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Korea defeated Netherlands in the 1993 World League (3-2), the 2014 World League (3-1) and the 2016 World League (3-2).
· Three of the last four world level matches between these nations needed a deciding set. Netherlands won twice in five sets in the 2014 World League, lost 3-2 in the 2016 World League and won 3-0 in the 2017 World League.
· Netherlands won all three matches against Korea at the Olympic Games: 3-1 in 1964, 3-0 in 1992 and 3-0 in 1996.
· Netherlands hope to qualify for the Olympic Games for the seventh time, and for the first time since 2004. They were present in 1964 and from 1988 to 2004.
· Netherlands finished on the podium at the Olympic Games twice. They won Olympic gold in 1996 and grabbed silver in 1992.
· In 2000 and 2004, Netherlands qualified for the Olympic Games through a world Olympic qualification tournament.
· Netherlands won all six of their matches at the world Olympic qualification tournaments in 2000 and 2004, dropping only two sets.
· In 1996, Netherlands entered the Olympic Games via the 1995 World Cup, where they finished runners-up to Italy.
· Korea have appeared in eight Olympic Games to date, but not since the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
· The only other Asian NOC with at least eight participations in the Olympic Games is Japan. As the host nation, they have already qualified for their ninth Olympic Games.
· Korea's best result at the Olympic Games is a fifth place in 1984.
· Korea qualified for the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games through an Asian qualification tournament.
· Korea participated in three of the last four world Olympic qualification tournaments (2004, 2008 and 2012). They failed to earn a ticket in all three of those editions.
· Korea won seven of their last 11 world Olympic qualification matches.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball