Kaliningrad, Russia, August 2, 2019 - In the first match of the day in Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool E, Korea defeated Canada 3-1 (21-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-20). Kim Yeon-koung led scoring for the Asian team with a stunning 37 points. Alexa Lea Gray scored 22 for the North Americans.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball QualificationFIVB.com - VolleyballVolleyball TVFacebookTwitterInstagram
Nataliya Goncharova scored 12 points as Russia claimed a 3-0 (25-13, 25-8, 26-24) victory against Mexico in Kaliningrad in the second match of the pool on Friday.
Korea - Canada (August 2, 2019)
· Korea and Canada meet for the second time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020). In 2000, Korea won in straight sets.
· Korea won all 11 encounters with Canada in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, FIVB Volleyball World Championship, FIVB Volleyball World Cup, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, FIVB Volleyball Nations League, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup).
· Canada won only three sets against Korea at world level, in 3-1 defeats at the 1989 World Cup, the 1991 World Cup and in the 2003 World Grand Prix.
· Korea won 3-0 in their most recent world level meeting, at the 2010 World Championship.
· Korea could qualify for the Olympic Games for the 12th time. They only missed out on the 1980, 1992 and 2008 editions.
· Only Japan (12, excl. 2020) participated in the women's tournament at the Olympic Games more often (United States also 11).
· Korea's best result in the Olympic Games is a third place in 1976.
· Korea participate for the sixth time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020). They earned qualification on four occasions: 2000, 2004, 2012 and 2016. In 2008 they finished in sixth place.
· Korea lost their last two world Olympic qualification matches. The last time they lost three successive in the tournament was in 2008 (run of 5).Canada
· Canada participated in the Olympic Games in 1976, 1984 and 1996. They did not finish higher than eighth place in those editions.
· Canada qualified for the Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games through North American qualification. In 1984 they replaced one of the nations boycotting the Games, while in 1976 they hosted the tournament.
· The last time Canada took part in a world Olympic qualification tournament was in 2000.
· Canada lost all seven of their matches in 2000, finishing in eighth and last place.
Canada celebrate beating the Czech Republic at the 2019 Volleyball Challenger Cup to qualify for the 2020 FIVB Volleyball Nations League
Russia - Mexico (August 2, 2019)
· Russia and Mexico meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Russia (incl. predecessors) won all three of their major world level matches against Mexico in straight sets: at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games (as Soviet Union), at the 2006 World Championship and at the 2014 World Championship.
· Major world level tournaments are: Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup.Russia
· Russia (NOC) could participate in the Olympic Games for the seventh (successive) time. Unified Team (once) and Soviet Union (6 times) also participated in the Olympic Games.
· The only time Russia, Soviet Union or Unified Team were not present in the women's tournament at the Olympic Games was in 1984. Soviet Union had qualified for that tournament, but boycotted the Games.
· Russia (NOC) collected two medals at the Olympic Games, silver in 2000 and 2004. Soviet Union (G4-S2-B0) and Unified Team (G0-S1-B0) finished in the top-2 in all of their participations.
· Russia appear for the third time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020). They achieved qualification in both 2004 and 2012.
· Russia qualified for the 2008 and 2016 Olympic Games after winning the European qualification tournament.
· Russia won 12 of their last 14 world Olympic qualification matches, with the only exceptions five-set defeats against Korea and Italy in 2004.
· Russia won their last eight matches in world Olympic qualification, dropping only one set.Mexico
· Mexico's only participation in the Olympic Games was as the host nation in 1968.
· Mexico finished in seventh place at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games after winning only one of their seven matches (3-0 against USA).
· Mexico will participate for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).Related articles: Pools A, B, C, D, F:
- Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool A begins with Serbia v Thailand and hosts Poland v Puerto Rico- Turkey, Germany and Czech Republic join Pool B hosts China in Ningbo- USA welcome Argentina, Bulgaria and Kazakhstan in Pool C- Pool F in Catania features Belgium, Kenya, Italy and the Netherlands