Uberlandia, Brazil, August 1, 2019 – The Dominican Republic and Brazil started with straight-set victories in the Tokyo Volleyball Qualification tournament in Uberlandia on Thursday.
Brazil defeated Cameroon 3-0 (25-14, 25-13, 25-16), while the Dominican Republic swept Azerbaijan 3-0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-18) to be one step ahead of their rivals for the one spot available for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball Qualification
FIVB.com - Volleyball
Brazil - Cameroon (August 1, 2019)
· Brazil and Cameroon meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Brazil won all three matches against Cameroon in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, FIVB Volleyball World Championship, FIVB Volleyball World Cup, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, FIVB Volleyball Nations League, FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup).
· Brazil defeated Cameroon in straight sets at the 2006 World Championship, at the 2014 World Championship and at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
· Brazil appeared at the Olympic Games on 10 previous occasions, all in the last 10 editions (1980-2016).
· Brazil is the only National Olympic Committee (NOC) to have appeared in the women's tournament at each of the last 10 editions.
· Brazil won Olympic gold twice, in 2008 and 2012. They also finished on the podium in 1996 and 2000 (both bronze).
· Brazil did not participate in the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2016).
· In four of the last six Olympic Games, Brazil qualified through the World Cup (1996-2008). They qualified as the host nation in 2016 and reached the competition as the South American qualifier in 2012.
· Cameroon could qualify for the Olympic Games for the second time after 2016.
· Cameroon lost all five of their matches at Rio 2016 and finished in joint 11th and last place alongside Puerto Rico.
· The only African NOCs to have appeared at multiple Olympic Games are Algeria (2008, 2012) and Kenya (2000, 2004).
· Cameroon qualified for Rio 2016 after winning the African Olympic qualification tournament in front of a home crowd in Yaoundé.
Cameroon was one of two African teams with Kenya at the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship
Dominican Republic - Azerbaijan (August 1, 2019)
· Dominican Republic and Azerbaijan meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020)
· These teams met twice in major world level tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Azerbaijan won 3-1 at the 2006 World Championship, while Dominican Republic won 3-1 at the 2014 World Championship.
Dominican Republic· Dominican Republic participated in the Olympic Games in 2004 (11th place) and 2012 (5th).
· They qualified for the London 2012 Olympic Games after winning the North American Olympic qualification tournament.
· In 2004, they earned qualification after winning the South American Olympic qualification tournament. They were allowed to enter that tournament as the 2003 Pan American Games winners.
· This is the Dominican Republic's third participation in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020), after 2008 (4th place) and 2016 (6th).
· Since 1996, the Dominican Republic won six of their 14 world Olympic qualification matches, including each of their last two.
The Dominican Republic celebrate a point during the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Nations League
Azerbaijan· Azerbaijan are hoping to qualify for the Olympic Games for the first time.
· This is Azerbaijan's first participation in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
Daruma dolls to watch over Tokyo Volleyball Qualification tournaments