Brazil's match with Azerbaijan went down to the wire as the South American overcame the European squad 3-2 (25-13, 23-25, 21-25, 25-19, 15-12). Gabi Guimaraes led Brazil with 18 points, while Polina Rahimova made 26 points on a losing effort for Azerbaijan.
The Dominican Republic had an upward trending win against Cameroon, recording a 3-0 (25-20, 25-19, 25-14) win, as the NORCECA side played excellent defence at the net with nine blocks. Yonkaira Paola Pena Isabel led Dominican Republic with 11 points, while Christelle Tchoudjang Nana scored more for Cameroon with 12 points.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Tokyo Volleyball QualificationFIVB.com - VolleyballVolleyball TVFacebookTwitterInstagramBrazil - Azerbaijan (August 2, 2019)
• Brazil and Azerbaijan meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
• The only meeting between these nations in a major world level tournament was a 3-0 Brazil win at the 2006 World Championship.
• Major world level tournaments are: Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup.Brazil
• Brazil started their quest for an Olympic Games ticket with a straight-set win over Cameroon. They lost only 43 points in that match.
• Brazil, two-time gold medal winners at the Olympic Games, is the only NOC to have appeared in the women's tournament at each of the last 10 editions (1980-2016).
• Gabriela Braga Guimaraes (15), Tandara Caixeta (12) and Lorenne Geraldo Teixeira (11) reached double figures in scoring against Cameroon in Uberlandia on Thursday.
• Nine different Brazil players contributed at least one point in their 75-point effort against Cameroon.Azerbaijan
• Azerbaijan lost their first group match on Thursday, 3-0 against Dominican Republic.
• Azerbaijan are aiming for their very first Olympic Games berth.
• Yelyzaveta Samadova and Polina Rahimova were Azerbaijan's top scorers against Dominican Republic, scoring 10 points each.Cameroon – Dominican Republic (August 2, 2019)
• Cameroon and Dominican Republic meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
• This is also the first meeting between the nations in a major world level tournament (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).Cameroon
• Cameroon started with a 3-0 defeat against two-time Olympic Games gold medal winners Brazil.
• Cameroon are in the hunt for their second Olympic Games berth in women's indoor volleyball, after the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, where they lost all of their five matches.
• Estelle Adiana was Cameroon's top scorer in Thursday's match against Brazil on 12 points - 11 spikes and one ace.
• Stephanie Fotso Mogoung (4) was the only player to score multiple points from stuff blocks in the match between Brazil and Cameroon.Dominican Republic
• Dominican Republic started off their qualifying campaign with a straight-set win over Azerbaijan.
• Since 1996, Dominican Republic won seven of their 15 world Olympic qualification matches, including each of their last three.
• Dominican Republic won each of their last five matches in world Olympic qualification in which they won the first set.
• In Dominican Republic's 75-point effort against Azerbaijan, four players reached double figures: Bethania De La Cruz De Peña (13), Prisilla Rivera Brens (12), Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez (12) and Jineiry Martinez (10).
• Jineiry Martinez (4) scored the most points from stuff blocks in the match between Dominican Republic and Azerbaijan, while Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez (3) had the most aces.