Ricardo Lucarelli led scoring for Brazil with 14 points
Varna, Bulgaria, August, 9, 2019 - Brazil defeated Puerto Rico 3-0 (25-23, 25-19, 25-19) in their opening match in Tokyo Volleyball Qualification Pool A in Varna on Friday.
Pool A in Varna - pre-match stats:Brazil - Puerto Rico (August 9, 2019)
· Brazil and Puerto Rico meet for the first time in the last seven world Olympic qualifying campaigns (1996-2020).
· Brazil won all five of their major world level meetings with Puerto Rico (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Puerto Rico failed to win a single set in their world level matches against Brazil. They met at the 2007 World Cup and in the 2011 World League (4 times).Brazil
· Brazil is the only NOC to have appeared in all 14 men's volleyball tournaments held at the Olympic Games (1964-2016).
· Brazil won Olympic gold in 1992, 2004 and 2016. They also collected medals in 1984 (silver), 2008 (silver) and 2012 (silver).
· Brazil share the record for most gold medals with Soviet Union and United States. Their six total medals are also a joint-record alongside Soviet Union and Italy.
· From 2004 to 2012, Brazil qualified for the Olympic Games through the World Cup before hosting the competition in 2016.
· In 2000, Brazil earned qualification after winning the South American Olympic qualification tournament.Puerto Rico
· Puerto Rico are hoping to become the fifth NORCECA side to qualify for the Olympic Games, after United States, Cuba, Canada and Mexico.
· Since 1996, Puerto Rico have appeared in a world Olympic qualification tournament twice, in Espinho in 2008 and in Tokyo in 2012.
· Puerto Rico finished third in 2008 and eighth in 2012.
· Puerto Rico won only one of their 10 world Olympic qualification matches in 2008 and 2012, a 3-0 against Indonesia in 2008.Egypt - Bulgaria (August 9, 2019)
· Egypt and Bulgaria met once in the last six world Olympic qualifying campaigns, in Sofia in 2012. Bulgaria won 3-1 and eventually earned an Olympic ticket.
· Bulgaria won all eight of their matches against Egypt in major world level competitions (Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League, Nations League, Grand Champions Cup).
· Egypt only took a set against Bulgaria at world level in their two most recent matches: a 3-1 defeat at the 2007 World Cup and a 3-2 loss at the 2014 World Championship.
· Egypt and Bulgaria met once at a European championship, in 1958 (before Africa had a solid volleyball structure). Bulgaria won that encounter 3-1.Egypt
· Egypt appeared in four Olympic Games: 1984, 2000, 2008 and 2016 (excl. 1976 boycott).
· Only Tunisia (6) participated in more Olympic Games among African NOCs.
· Egypt finished in (joint) last place in their first three appearances, before claiming joint-ninth place alongside France at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
· Egypt won only six sets in their 20 matches at the Olympic Games, in a 3-2 defeat against Tunisia (1984), a 3-1 loss versus Netherlands (2000) and a 3-0 win over Cuba (2016).
· Since 1996, Egypt participated in a world Olympic qualification tournament only once, in Sofia in 2012. They failed to qualify after only one win in their three matches, 3-0 against Pakistan.
· Egypt qualified for the 2000, 2008 and 2016 Olympic Games after winning the African Olympic qualification tournament. They entered the 1984 edition as the African championship winners.Bulgaria
· Bulgaria could qualify for the Olympic Games for the ninth time, and for the first time since 2012.
· Bulgaria's best result in the Olympic Games was a second place in 1980, their only Olympic medal in men's volleyball.
· Bulgaria won their last six matches in world Olympic qualification tournaments, three in 2012 and three in 1996. They earned qualification in both editions.
· Bulgaria dropped only two sets in their last six matches in world Olympic qualification.
· In 2008, Bulgaria collected an Olympic ticket after a third place at the 2007 World Cup.