Stuttgart, Germany, June 13, 2019 – The Dominican Republic claimed a five set victory against Belgium on Thursday in the final day of action in week 4 of the 2019 women's FIVB Volleyball Nations League. Visit the pool match centre pages for more information.
Belgium-Dominican Republic: Match Centre
Germany-Netherlands: Match Centre
Belgium – Dominican Republic (June 13, 2019)
• All three matches between Belgium and Dominican Republic in world level major competitions were played in five sets, with Belgium winning once and Dominican Republic twice.
• World level major competitions are: Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix and Grand Champions Cup.
• The team that won the first set went on to win the match in five sets on all three occasions: Dominican Republic at the 2014 World Championship and the 2017 World Grand Prix and Belgium at the 2018 Volleyball Nations League.
• Britt Herbots scored a match-high 27 points in Belgium's 3-2 win over Dominican Republic in last year's VNL.Belgium
• Belgium have six wins and five defeats in this year's Volleyball Nations League. They claimed only four wins at the 2018 VNL.
• Belgium could lose successive VNL matches for the only second time in 2019, after 3-0 defeats against Republic of Korea and China last month.
• Belgium have won at least one set in each of their last six VNL matches, their longest set-winning streak in the history of the competition.
• Marlies Janssens has recorded most aces (22) and the highest ace average per set (0.55) of all players at this year's VNL.
• Britt Herbots, who was rested against Germany on Wednesday, is Belgium' top scorer at the 2019 VNL on 164 total points.Dominican Republic
• Dominican Republic have won five and lost six matches (including their last 2) at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League matches. In 2018, the team won only three of their 15 VNL matches.
• Dominican Republic won more matches than in the 2019 VNL (5) in only three world level major tournaments – the 2016 World Grand Prix (7), the 2014 World Championship (7) and the 2013 World Grand Prix (6).
• Dominican Republic could lose back-to-back VNL matches in straight sets for the second time, after four successive 3-0 defeats in June 2018.
• In the 3-0 loss against Netherlands on Tuesday, Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez (12 points) improved to 216 total points at the 2019 VNL. She is one of a select group of players with 200+ points in the competition and closed in on her 2018 VNL total of 250.
• Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez is also among the most efficient attackers at the 2019 VNL, with a success rate of 48.2%.
• Martinez was not Dominican Republic's top scorer in the loss against Netherlands. Gaila Ceneida González Lopez scored 14 points, two more than Martinez.
Germany – Netherlands (June 13, 2019)
• Netherlands lead the head-to-head with Germany (including East and West) 13-5 in world level major competitions.
• Germany (including West Germany and East Germany) have won only one of their last 12 matches against Netherlands at world level major tournaments, the 3-1 victory in the second round of the 2010 World Championship.
• The two most recent meetings between these teams both took place last year, when Netherlands beat Germany 3-1 at both the Nations League (14 June) and the World Championship (29 September).
• World level major tournaments are: Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix and Grand Champions Cup.Germany
• Germany have five wins and six defeats at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League.
• Germany have already equalled their total number of wins from the 2018 VNL (5). Another win would indicate an outright team wins record in a single VNL.
• Germany could win four straight VNL matches for the first time in the tournament's history. Germany have won three successive VNL matches for the second time, after successively beating Thailand, Dominican Republic and Belgium in May-June 2018. Their current run includes consecutive wins against Republic of Korea, Dominican Republic and Belgium.
• Louisa Lippmann added 18 points to her tally in Germany's match against Belgium in Wednesday, improving her tournament total to a team-leading 159.
• Lenka Dürr is ranked in the top five of all players in both average digs per set (3.1) and receiving efficiency (30.1%) at the 2019 VNL.Netherlands
• Netherlands beat Dominican Republic 3-0 on Wednesday, their third win in 11 matches in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League. They ended a five-match losing run in the competition.
• Netherlands could win successive VNL matches for the first time since their last four matches in the preliminary round in 2018. The fourth match in that run was a 3-1 win over Germany.
• Anne Buijs (15), Juliet Lohuis (11), Lonneke Slöetjes (10) and Nicole Koolhaas (10) all reached double figures in scoring against Dominican Republic.
• Koolhaas scored four of her 10 points from stuff blocks. The whole team of Dominican Republic scored a total of five points from blocking.
• Laura Dijkema (5.17) is one of a select group of players who average 5+ sets per set at the 2019 VNL.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations LeagueFIVB.com - VolleyballFacebookTwitterInstagram