Cannes, France, June 15, 2019 – The United States and Germany got the action underway in Cannes on Saturday with coach John Speraw's men claiming a four-set victory. Find out more on the dedicated Match Centre pages.
United States – Germany (June 15, 2019)
• United States have a W10-L7 record against Germany (incl. East and West Germany) at major world level (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Germany have won three of their last five encounters with United States at world level, following a run of six defeats.
• Germany defeated United States 3-0 at last year's VNL, their most recent world level meeting. David Sossenheimer scored a match-high 13 points.
• Germany could win successive world level matches against United States for the first time since back-to-back wins at the 1993 World League.United States
• United States lost four of their seven Volleyball Nations League matches in 2019, already as many as defeats as they had in last year's preliminary round (W11-L4).
• USA have won back-to-back VNL matches for the first time this season.
• Benjamin Patch (74) is USA's leading points scorers this VNL campaign.
• Patch was USA's leading points scorer in each of their last four VNL matches: 24 against Italy, 13 versus Russia, 20 against Portugal and 17 against Argentina.
• Patch plays his club volleyball at German side SCC Berlin.Germany
• Germany lost five of their seven matches in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, including their last three.
• Germany have lost three consecutive VNL matches for the second time, after they were beaten in each of their opening three matches of the 2018 competition. They could lose four in a row for the first time in the competition.
• In the 2018 VNL, Germany won three of their first seven and four of their first eight matches in the competition.
• With a 36.84% efficiency rate, Julian Zenger is among the best receivers in the 2019 VNL.
• Simon Hirsch (99 points) is Germany's leading points scorer this VNL campaign. He scored the most points for his team in four of their seven matches.France – Argentina (June 15, 2019)
• France have won 18 of their 30 major world level encounters with Argentina (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Argentina have won only two of their last 12 world level matches against France, 3-2 wins at the 2014 and 2016 World League.
• France could record four successive world level victories against Argentina for the second time after 2013-2014.
• France won their most recent world level meeting with Argentina 3-1 at the 2018 World Championships. Earvin N'Gapeth scored 28 points in that match, at least 13 more than any other player.France
• France have six wins and one defeat in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League.
• France have won 13 of their last 14 home matches in major world level tournaments. That lone defeat was against Russia in last year's VNL final (3-0).
• France have won multiple sets in each of their seven VNL matches in 2019.
• Jean Patry (82) leads France in terms of scoring. Patry (54% success rate) is among the best attackers in the competition.
• Antoine Brizard (5.79 average per set) is among the best setters in the 2019 VNL, while Jenia Grebennikov (2.46) is among the best diggers in the competition.Argentina
• Argentina have lost five consecutive Volleyball Nations League matches, after they began this year's competition with straight sets wins against both Portugal and Bulgaria.
• Argentina could set a team record longest VNL losing streak. Last year, lost each of their opening five matches in the competition.
• The last time Argentina lost six successive matches at a specific major world level tournaments was at the 2013 World League, when they lost their last 11 in the competition.
• Facundo Conte (92) is Argentina's leading points scorer this VNL campaign.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations LeagueFIVB.com - VolleyballFacebookTwitterInstagram