Urmia, Iran, June 15, 2019 – Iran defeated world champions Poland in Urmia in the 2019 men's FIVB Volleyball Nations League on Saturday.
Russia – Canada (June 15, 2019)
• Russia have won seven of their nine encounters with Canada at major world level (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Canada's two wins over Russia came at the 2013 (3-2) and 2017 World League (3-0).
• Seven of the nine world level encounters between Russia and Canada were decided in three sets, including each of the last five. The other two encounters finished 3-2.
• Russia defeated Canada 3-0 at last year's VNL, their most recent major world level meeting. Egor Kliuka scored a match-high 16 points.
• Russia have won six consecutive Volleyball Nations League matches, after they began the 2019 tournament with a 3-1 defeat against France.
• Russia could equal their VNL record of winning seven matches in a row, set in last year's preliminary round.
• Russia lost only two of their last 19 VNL matches, with both of those defeats against France.
• Egor Kliuka has scored 105 points this VNL season, becoming the first Russian to break the 100 points mark in 2019.
• Kliuka's 0.65 ace per set average is by far the highest of all players in this season's VNL.
• Kliuka celebrates his 24th birthday on Saturday.
• Victor Poletaev is now Russia's leading points scorer in each of their last three VNL matches. He amassed 19 points against United States, 17 versus Italy and 18 against Poland.
• Canada have won four of their seven matches in this year's Volleyball Nations League, but now have lost for the first time in succession this VNL season.
• Canada could lose back-to-back matches in straight sets at major world level tournaments for the first time since the 2015 World Cup (vs Italy and United States).
• Sharone Vernon-Evans has scored 110 points, 40 more than the next highest Canadian on the 2019 VNL scorers list (Stephen Timothy Maar, 40).
• Maar scored 13 points against Iran on Friday. It was the first time be was Canada's leading scorer this VNL season.
Iran – Poland (June 15, 2019)
• Poland have a W12-L6 record against Iran at major world level tournaments (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Iran have only lost more world level matches against Italy (13) than against Poland (12).
• Poland and Iran met twice at world level last year. Iran won in straight sets at the VNL, while Poland won 3-0 at the World Championship.
• Iran's Amir Ghafour scored a match-high 17 points in his team's defeat at the 2018 World Championship. Michal Kubiak (12) won the most points for the winning team.
• Iran have won nine of their last 10 Volleyball Nations League matches, with the only exception in that run a 3-2 defeat against Brazil on 7 June 2019.
• Iran have a 6-1 record in the VNL this year. They are one victory shy of their total wins from last season (7 wins, 8 defeats).
• Iran have won their last five matches at home at major world level tournaments, after they lost 3-1 against Serbia in the 2017 World League.
• Their only longer winning run in home matches at major world level tournaments was a seven-match winning streak between 2014 and 2015 (all World League).
• Iran could equal their record of winning three successive matches in straight sets at major world level tournaments, set in the 2015 World League.
• Amir Ghafour is the only player from Iran in triple digits, scoring 107 points in the 2019 VNL.
• Poland have a 4-3 record in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League. They finished with a 10-5 record in last year's League Round.
• In 2018, Poland had a 6-1 record after seven matches and lost their second match in the 10th matchround.
• After Poland lost 3-0 against United States in the VNL Final Round last year, they have won at least one set in all their 19 matches at major world level tournaments.
• Dawid Konarski (60) surpassed Mateusz Bieniek (55) as Poland leading scorer this VNL tournament.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations League
FIVB.com - Volleyball