Lincoln, USA, June 5, 2019 - Korea and Brazil will meet in Lincoln in the first match on Wednesday before the United States take on Germany.
Korea - Brazil (June 5, 2019)
· Brazil have won 17 of their last 18 meetings with Korea at major world level (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix and Grand Champions Cup). The only exception in this run was a 3-0 defeat at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
· In total, Brazil have a W37-L11 record in their major encounters with Korea. Brazil lost their first six world level matches against Korea, all in the 1970s and 1980s.
· Brazil won 3-1 in their most recent major encounter, at last year's FIVB Volleyball Nations League. Tandara Caixeta scored 34 points in that match, most for a Brazilian player in a 2018 VNL match.
· Korea have won only one of their seven matches in the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, 3-0 against Belgium in their fourth match.
· Korea could lose four consecutive matches for the first time in the 2019 VNL.
· Only one of Korea's 22 Volleyball Nations League matches was played in five sets, the 3-2 victory over Dominican Republic on 16 May 2018.
· Heejin Kim is Korea's top scorer at the 2019 VNL on 81 points, including a team-high 14 points in the 3-1 defeat against United States. Only USA's Chiaka Ogbogu (16) netted more points in the match.
· In the 2018 VNL, Heejin Kim scored a total of 84 points. She needs three more points to equal that total in 2019.
· Dayeong Lee is the second best setter at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, averaging 3.5 per set.
· Brazil have lost three of their seven matches at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, already equalling their total defeats from last year's league round (W12-L3).
· After a 3-2 defeat against Germany, Brazil could lose consecutive VNL matches for the second time. In June-July 2018, Brazil suffered successive straight-set defeats against Turkey (semi-finals) and China (third-place match).
· Italy and Turkey (both 7) are the only teams to have played more five-setters in the VNL than Brazil (6). Turkey (5) are the only team to lose more five-setters in the VNL than Brazil (3).
· Brazil could lose three consecutive matches at world level tournaments played in five sets for the first time since 2002-2003 (4 matches at World Grand Prix, world championship). That run included a 3-2 defeat against Korea at the 2002 world championship.
· Coming into the eighth matchround, Brazil are one of two teams in the 2019 VNL to have multiple players on 100+ points: Gabriela Braga Guimaraes (114) and Ana Paula Borgo Bedani Guedes (107). Dominican Republic are the other side.
· Ana Paula Borgo Bedani Guedes was Brazil's top scorer in the 3-2 defeat against Germany on 21 points, seven more than Braga Guimaraes (14).
United States - Germany (June 5, 2019)
· United States have won nine of their last 10 meetings with Germany at major world level competitions (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix and Grand Champions Cup), including each of their last six since a 3-0 defeat at the 2011 World Cup.
· United States have a W26-L10 record against Germany (incl. East and West Germany) at major world level.
· The last four times Germany won the first set against United States in a match at world level, they ended up winning the match (2009 & 2010 World Grand Prix, 2011 World Cup).
· United States won in straight sets in their most recent major encounter, at last year's FIVB Volleyball Nations League. Michelle Bartsch-Hackley scored a match-high 17 points that day.
· United States have won six of their seven matches at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, with the only exception of the 3-2 loss against Dominican Republic on 30 May.
· In total, United States have a winning percentage of 88% in the VNL (W23-L3).
· United States have won at least one set in each of their 26 Volleyball Nations League matches.
· Andrea Drews is United States' top scorer in the 2019 VNL on 81 points. She needs eight points more to equal her total points tally from last year's preliminary round (89).
· With a success percentage of 48.20%, Drew is the third best attacker in the 2019 VNL.
· Chiaka Ogbogu was United States' top scorer in the 3-1 win over Korea on 16 points.
· Germany have won two of their seven matches at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League: 3-0 against Russia and 3-2 against Brazil in their most recent match.
· Germany could now win multiple VNL matches in a row for the second time, after a run of three wins in May-June 2018 (Thailand, Dominican Republic, Belgium).
· For Germany, the 3-2 win over Brazil marked the second time they won a VNL match after losing the first set. The first time was also against Brazil, in their opener of the 2018 VNL (3-1 win).
· Louisa Lippmann scored a match-high 29 points in the 3-2 victory over Brazil, most for any German player in a VNL match.
· In total, Lippmann has scored 102 points in the 2019 VNL. In the 2018 VNL, Lippmann finished on 224 points, fifth most of all players in the preliminary round.
· Lenka Dürr has a 43.20% efficiency as a receiver, best of all players in the 2019 VNL.