Katowice, Poland, June 2, 2019 – Australia and the United States are seeking their first win, while Brazil and Poland meet again in the replay of the 2018 World Championship final at the FIVB Volleyball Nations League.
Australia – United States (June 2, 2019)
• United States won all nine world level major tournament matches versus Australia. Only against Egypt (15) they have played more world level major tournaments without ever losing.
• World level major tournaments are: Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup.
• In their most recent meeting, at last year's World Championship, Australia came closer than ever before to beating USA as they managed to play their first five-setter against the Americans (3-2 defeat in the first round).
• These teams also met in last year's edition of the Nations League. USA won 3-1 in the preliminary round.
• Australia lost their opening two matches of the 2019 VNL. They began last year's VNL with four consecutive defeats.
• Australia are currently on their longest VNL losing streak - five in a row.
• After two matches Jordan Richards leads Australia in scoring with 25 points. Last year he was their top scorer on 118 points in the VNL.
• Samuel Walker scored six aces against Brazil. In 2018, Lincoln Alexander Williams was Australia's top scorer on aces in the VNL with 10 in total.
• USA lost 3-2 against Poland in their second match of the 2019 VNL. They also lost their first match, 3-0 versus Brazil.
• Last year USA began the VNL with five consecutive wins.
• USA have not started a world level major tournament with three consecutive defeats since the 2017 World League.
• Torey Defalco is USA's top scorer in the 2019 VNL on 33 points. He was the fourth highest scorer for the team in the preliminary round in 2018 (93 points).
• Mitchell Staal has registered seven stuff blocks in the VNL this year. In the 2018 preliminary round, Torey Defalco (15) and Jeffrey Jendryk Li (15) led USA in blocks.
Brazil – Poland (June 2, 2019)
• This match will be a replay of the 2018 World Championship final in which Poland won in straight sets against Brazil.
• These teams also met in the World Championship final in both 2006 and 2014. Brazil won in straight sets in 2006 and Poland claimed the title in 2014 by winning 3-1.
• Last year, these teams met in the preliminary round of the Nations League, with Brazil winning 3-1.
• This will be the 58th encounter between these teams in world level major tournaments, with Brazil winning 38 times and Poland 19.
• World level major competitions are: FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup.
• Brazil won their first two matches of the 2019 Volleyball Nations League. Last year they lost their second match, but had a W8-L1 record in their first nine fixtures.
• After their 3-2 win against Australia, Brazil have a W3-L3 record in five-set matches in the VNL.
• Wallace De Souza was Brazil's top scorer against Australia on 20 points.
• Wallace De Souza leads Brazil in scoring at the 2019 VNL on 35 points. Last year he was the second-highest scorer of all players in the preliminary round on 216 points.
• Maurício Souza (6 attack - 2 block - 2 serve) and Yoandy Leal Hidalgo (10-2-2) scored points against Australia in all three statistical categories (attack, block, serve).
• Poland won both of their opening two matches of the 2019 VNL. They began last year's edition with five consecutive victories.
• Poland beat United States 3-2 in their second match, despite scoring as many points as their opponents, 117 each.
• Aleksander Sliwka was Poland's top scorer in the match against USA on 20 points. Dawid Konarski had 22 points versus Australia.
• Dawid Konarski leads Poland on 37 points in the 2019 VNL. He had 51 points in the preliminary round in 2018.
• Fabian Drzyzga has an average of 3.11 per set in the Best Setter category.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations LeagueFIVB.com - VolleyballFacebookTwitterInstagram