Gondomar, Portugal, June 16, 2019 – Serbia defeated China in the first match on Sunday in Gondomar in the 2019 men's FIVB Volleyball Nations League.
Pre-match stats:China – Serbia (June 16, 2019)
• Serbia (incl. predecessors) have won 18 of their 20 major world level meetings with China (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• China's only two victories over Serbia came at the 1956 World Championship (3-1 against Yugoslavia) and at the 2004 World League (3-2 against Serbia and Montenegro).
• Serbia have won each of their last 10 world level matches against China since that five-set defeat in 2004 (as Serbia and Montenegro).
• Serbia won 3-1 at last year's VNL, their most recent world level encounter. Dražen Luburic won 28 points, at least 10 more than any other player.China
• The 3-0 defeat against Brazil on Saturday was China's fourth straight-sets defeat in a row in the FIVB Volleyball Nations League this season.
• Last season, China hit their lowest point in the competition so far, when they were beaten in six straight matches.
• China's last seven VNL matches have been decided in straight sets, with China winning one and losing another six.
• Against Brazil, Chuan Jiang had an off day by his otherwise lofty standards. He managed only seven scoring winners from 20 attempts.Serbia
• Serbia's victory over Portugal on Saturday ran up their VNL winning streak to four.
• Twice, Serbia established a longer winning run in the competition. On two occasions last season, they won five in a row.
• Each of Serbia's last six VNL matches were decided in five sets (W4-L2).Portugal – Brazil (June 16, 2019)
• Brazil have won 20 of their 21 meetings with Portugal at major world level competitions (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World
Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Portugal's only world level win over Brazil was a 3-0 victory at the 2005 World League.
• These teams meet at world level for the first time since the 2006 World League. Brazil won twice by 3-0 and twice by 3-1.
• Brazil (20) are the opponents Portugal have lost most world level matches against.Portugal
• Portugal came close to winning back-to-back VNL matches for the first time on Saturday, but ultimately lost in five sets against Serbia.
• Portugal have now won two of their eight matches to start their debut campaign in the FIVB Volleyball Nations League.
• Against Serbia, Portugal celebrated 37 points from the Ferreira brothers. Marco led the team on 20 points, Alexandre followed on 17.Brazil
• On Saturday, Brazil rebounded from their first FIVB Volleyball Nations League defeat of the season by defeating China in straight-sets.
• Brazil have not registered back-to-back straight-sets VNL victories in their last 22 outings in the competition, since three in a row in May-June of last year.
• Brazil have won five of their seven VNL encounters with host nations, only losing in Bulgaria and France last season.
• Ricardo Lucarelli Souza is Brazil's leading points scorer in the VNL this season. On 96, he is four points shy of hitting triple figures.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations LeagueFIVB.com - VolleyballFacebookTwitterInstagram