Brasilia, Brazil, June 27, 2019 - Week 5 of the 2019 men's FIVB Volleyball Nations League in Brasilia featured victories for Canada against Italy and for pool hosts Brazil against France.Italy-CanadaBrazil-FrancePre-match stats:Italy - Canada (June 28, 2019)
· Canada have won each of their last three major encounters with Italy at world level, after Italy had won each of the teams' first 15 encounters on a major stage.
· World level major competitions are: FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup.
· Italy's last world level victory against Canada came at the 2015 World Cup (3-1).
· They also met in the League Round of the FIVB Volleyball Nations League last season, with Canada emerging victorious 3-1 in San Juan, Argentina.Italy
· For the first time this VNL season, Italy have lost back-to-back matches. They have yet to lose three in a row in the competition.
· Before losing two in a row, Italy had won eight of their previous nine VNL matches.· Simone Giannelli's average of 0.36 is one of the highest in the Best Servers category.
· Giannelli (7.75) is also one of two players to have an average of more than 7.50 as Best Setter. Iran's Mir Saeid Marouflakrani (8.81) is the other player.Canada
· Canada have won seven of their 12 VNL matches this season and are the best ranked of the four teams that received an invitation to appear in this season's VNL.
· Canada started this VNL season with a defeat, before winning four in a row, then losing four in a row and now again winning three in succession.
· Of Canada's last eight VNL matches, only one was decided either way in straight sets.· Graham Vigrass ranks as the tournament's leading blocker. He has made 25 stuff blocks and sports an average of 0.52 per set.Brazil - France (June 28, 2019)
· Brazil have a W29-L9 record against France at major world level competitions.
· France have won three of their last five major encounters at world level with Brazil.
· Of the preceding 33 meetings on a major stage, Brazil won 27 of the 33 and at one point beat the French in 13 encounters in a row.
· Last season, they met in the FIVB Volleyball Nations League both in the League Round and Final Round. France won both matches.Brazil
· Brazil can secure a place in the Final Round with a victory or a 3-2 defeat. They are also on the plane to Chicago should Italy or Poland lose on Friday.
· Brazil have won 11 of their 12 Volleyball Nations League matches in 2019, with the only exception in this run their 3-2 defeat to Serbia on 14 June.
· Brazil have already improved on their number of wins recorded in the preliminary round of the 2018 VNL (10).· Ricardo Lucarelli Souza's spike success rate of 55.96 is the second highest in the 2019 VNL, behind only Iran's Amir Ghafour (57.30).France
· France won all of their three matches in Week 4, after pinching only one victory from three attempts in Week 3.
· France can win four VNL matches in a row for the first time since the start of this season, when they opened this VNL campaign with five successive victories.· Jean Patry leads France on 99 VNL points this season. Opposing Brazil have three players that are into triple figures already in the competition.
· Antoine Brizard is among this season's best VNL setters, producing only three faults in 534 total attempts this season.