Canada are seeking for their fifth straight win at the 2019 VNL
Ottawa, Canada, June 9, 2019 – Australia are looking for a repeat of their last year’s 3-2 defeat of Germany, while Canada are seeking to extend their winning run in the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Nations League.Australia – Germany (June 9, 2019)
• In the 2018 Volleyball Nations League, Australia defeated Germany by 3-2 after trailing 2-1 in sets, and despite scoring 10 fewer points than Germany (103- 113).
• Australia's Jordan Richards (18) and Germany's Christian Fromm (21) were their team's top scorers in that match.
• That was their first encounter at a world level major tournament since the 2006 World Championship, in which Germany won 3-1. Their only other encounter at world level major tournaments was at the 1982 World Championships, when Australia lost 3-0 against East Germany.
• World level major tournaments are: FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup.Australia
• Australia have lost their first five matches of the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, one more than they lost at the beginning of the 2018 edition.
• Australia have lost their last eight VNL matches. This run directly followed a streak of four consecutive victories from 10 to 17 June 2018.
• Australia lost 3-2 against Serbia on Saturday. They have now played four VNL five setters, of which they won one, against Germany on 10 June 2018.
• Thanks to his 19 points against Serbia, Jordan Richards (51 total points) overtook the rested Lincoln Alexander Williams (46) as Australia's top scorer in the 2019 VNL.
• Luke Smith was top scorer in Australia's match against Serbia, scoring 22 points.Germany
• Germany have started their 2019 Volleyball Nations League campaign with two victories and three defeats. Three of Germany's five matches in the 2019 VNL have been five-setters.
• Germany have played seven five-set matches in the VNL since inauguration, second-most of all teams behind Brazil. The Germans won three and lost four in the tournament.
• Germany could record three wins in their first six matches. At the 2018 VNL, they won their third match in their seventh fixture.
• Julian Zenger is among the tournament's best receivers, with an efficiency over 40% (40.82%).
• Simon Hirsch leads Germany in scoring in the 2019 VNL with 75 points. He was his team's top scorer in the 3-2 defeat against Canada on Saturday, with 21 points.Canada – Serbia (June 9, 2019)
• Canada have won two of their nine matches against Serbia in world level major competitions (FIVB Volleyball Nations League, Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup).
• Canada won 3-1 in the 2000 World League and 3-1 at the 2010 World Championship.
• Serbia won their last two encounters against Canada, including their most recent match against them, the 3-0 in the 2018 Volleyball Nations League. Serbia scored 10 points from blocks in that match, against one for Canada.
• Srecko Lisinac (16 points for Serbia) and Canada's Gavin Schmitt (17) were their team's top scorers in Serbia's 3-0 win against Canada in the 2018 VNL.Canada
• After losing their opener 3-1 to Bulgaria, Canada have won four matches in a row at the 2019 Volleyball Nations League.
• Canada could surpass their longest run of victories in the VNL: four wins from 1 to 8 June 2018.
• Canada won a five-set encounter against Germany on Saturday, their first 3-2 win in the VNL. They had lost their only other five setter, against France on 17 June 2018.
• After a match-high 24 points in Canada's encounter against Germany, Sharone Vernon-Evans is his team's leading scorer at the 2019 VNL, with 82 total points.
• Graham Vigrass is among the best blockers at the 2019 VNL, averaging 0.74 stuff blocks per set.Serbia
• Serbia beat Germany 3-2 on Saturday, ending a streak of six Volleyball Nations League defeats.
• Serbia have already lost four VNL matches in 2019, as many as they lost in the full preliminary round of the 2018 competition.
• Serbia have played three five setters in a row in the VNL, winning one and losing two. The last time they played four five setters in a row was in the 2015 World League (4).
• In the 2019 Volleyball Nations League, Dusan Petkovic leads Serbia on 85 points. In the 3-2 defeat against Germany, Petkovic scored a team-high 20 points.
• Against Germany, Aleksandar Okolic was the only Serbian player contributing at least one point from attacks (5), blocks (5) and serves (2).Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB.com - Volleyball Nations LeagueFIVB.com - VolleyballFacebookTwitterInstagram